A fellow “Yankee” co-worker showed me the hot spot to shop- Myeong-dong. Lots of expensive clothing stores and restaurants-now I just have to remember where they all are! Got my first experience on the subway, but with a tour guide right there to catch my mistakes, it was too easy!
I decided to use my knowledge later that day to go grocery shopping. I found a close supermarket and went to town! Got some good basics: peanut butter, bread, spaghetti, ramen noodles (in Korean, so not too sure the flavor) and fruit. Also needed a pot and some utensils, and came across a mug that I just couldn’t resist buying if only for the saying on it. It had a cartoon dog on it with the quote “dog is good boy. It is god firend with pople in my heat for ever.” Pretty sure they thought it made sense, but to me it was just too funny to pass up!
Being that I don’t start work for another week, I decided to use my first free day here to go on a small mission by myself. I read about this little bookshop that sold new and used books, lots of ones in English, and had free internet so I decided to go for that. This operation included me taking the subway and switching lines twice, which made me both nervous and excited to prove I don’t get lost EVERYWHERE I go! Turned out to be much easier than I had expected, and I make it to the small community of Anguk. Being I only had a map of the area, not the streets, I realized I had no idea which way to walk from the subway stop. Using my “bible” (a Seoul tour book with a subway map and maps of the surrounding cities) and my great sense of direction (HA!) I head in the direction I decide is the right one.
By some act of God, I manage to find the bookshop and discover a little underground piece of heaven! I get a cheap book, use the internet, and make a vow to myself to return shortly. Back to the subway I go, now knowing exactly how to get home and feel like I had a pretty productive day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment