Sunday, July 8, 2007

Fresh Air in Jeju Island!

So I finally got a chance to run away from the smoggy air of Seoul for a mini-vacation down to the southern island of Jeju. A friend from high school who just finished working in Japan came to visit, and we decided to go down there. (Adam Caruso, Gloria Pugh's nephew.) It was a short visit, but very relaxing and beautiful! The palm trees and fresh air was a great change from the loud, crazy city!


First stop, Jeju City. This is what the main roads looked like. A lot of shopping and Korean restaurants. Unfortunately, no "western" food... The other picture is the boardwalk along the Ocean which come to find out houses MANY centipede-type bugs. Think "a centipede on steroids with a hard shell and long antennae".....First one I saw was when I was about to climb up on the stone wall for a pic. and it nearly ran across my hand. I screamed right as an old Korean lady was walking by us and she jumped about 5 feet because of my loud reaction! Nasty little things though.. We walked out on the pier and looked back at the city, but it was dark and the photo didn't come out very clear, but here it is anyway!




These statues are everywhere on the island. Read there's 57 in all. They are called Dol Hareubang meaning "Stone Grandfather".


They are meant to protect the island by keeping out evil. They are also thought to help with fertility problems (as they are pretty phallic!!) The island is big for honeymooners, so.......







Our first hotel they told us we would be sleeping on a "Korean style bed" on the floor...So I was a bit freaked out at first, but after we got there and slept I actually would prefer this to my brick of a bed in the A.P.T! The "mattress" was a big, fluffy blanket that we doubled up on. (Their heating system comes up through the floor, so I bet these beds would be awesome to sleep on in the freezing winters here!) It was actually very comfortable.


Next day we went to the southern area of the island to Jungmun beach and some touristy places. It was really foggy that day, but actually cleared up and the sun came out for awhile when we were at the beach.













First stop was Oedolgae, meaning "the lone rock pillar". A giant rock in the Ocean formed by a volcanic eruption 1.5 million years ago..(Did some research on this one!) Then headed off to Cheonjiyeon Waterfalls. It's usually bigger than this I guess, but who knows what was happening that day...
Finally, some random pics from the area of Seogwipo.....and that's our trip!!

No comments: